Functional footwear is the next evolution in shoe design and manufacturing; a synthesis of traditional shoe-making wisdom and modern engineering technology. Just like traditional footwear before crazy fashion trends; functional footwear is designed on an uncompromisingly foot-shaped-asymmetrical last for optimum foot function but is constructed using modern materials and production techniques for maximum comfort and performance. Find out more about functional footwear
In the morning, your foot is up to four millimetres shorter than in the evening because the muscles get tired during the course of the day and your foot gets longer as a consequence. This has to be taken into consideration. It is also important that the foot can roll naturally without any hindrances. To do this, it needs sufficient width and length. If the shoe is too tight, you can jolt the bones and cartilage in your foot. The space is also important for good blood circulation in your foot and for having warm feet - without any pinching.
We do not usually need different widths because our shoes do not narrow towards the front but follow the natural, asymmetrical shape of the foot.
No but the upper material in the instep area is a bit tighter due to significant anatomical differences between women's and men's feet. All Joe Nimble functional footwear follows the toefreedom® principle developed by Christian Baer almost 40 years ago.
That depends on the wearer, his/her weight, how he /she walks and how often he/she wears the shoes. Usually the soles last 2-3 years.
In conversations with our customers, but also in discussions on the social web, the question comes up again and again: Why are Joe Nimble shoes actually more expensive than shoes from other suppliers?
We stand behind the statement: Joe Nimble shoes are worth their price. And for a whole host of reasons:
• We use only materials that independent institutes regularly certify as being of the highest quality.
• We produce shoes with a much longer life, which makes the shoes even cheaper in the long run.
• We continuously invest in scientific research and studies, new technologies and innovative materials to keep improving your running experience.
• We focus on setting up and operating production facilities in Europe and Germany in order to avoid long transport routes and to make our contribution to sustainable production.
• We produce small quantities instead of the industry-standard mass-produced goods, which, however paradoxical it may sound, makes production more expensive.
• And last but not least: We not only promise our customers quality, but also stand behind this promise uncompromisingly with our guarantee.
Between 80 and 100% of the leather used for clothing, furniture and footwear is tanned with the aid of chromium. We use this process too. The leathers are tanned with chromium (III) salt.
This is a natural, non-toxic element which we also absorb with our food.
Unfortunately, a lot of people associate the word ‘chromium’ with toxicity or have heard about limits on chromium (VI) being exceeded. That is something completely different.
Chromium (III) salts are not considered to pose a health risk. The vast majority of people do not have any problems, despite their skin coming into close contact with shoes or clothing.
Even drinking water, for example, is allowed to contain 50 micrograms of chromium (III) per litre.
Advantages of chromium-tanned leathers:
- they are very soft
- they are twice as tear-resistant
- the leathers are lighter
- the leathers can be impregnated more easily and dyed better
- the leathers are more resistant to fading
All of the tanneries plus all of the leathers and other materials we use at BÄR comply with the relevant European standard and are personally checked by Christof Bär.
However, this is another area where we are constantly evolving. We always give preference to environmentally friendly and sustainable materials. It is worth noting, however, that vegetable production processes also use chemicals – they’re just made from natural (rather than synthetic) substances. A lot of customers also don’t know that vegetable-tanned leathers often undergo subsequent chromium tanning, meaning that these leathers are not free from chromium.
In rare cases, it is possible for some dye to be transferred from leather, which then discolours other materials, such as socks or the skin.
This could be caused by lint from suede. For example, nubuck leathers are sanded during the production process. This leaves some loose dust, which can have a discolouring effect.
By contrast, oiled leathers are usually treated with a coloured wax. This can be transferred, just like shoe polish.
Dark lining leathers are most prone to discolouring in when they become damp and are rubbed. In other words, sweaty feet heighten this effect.
We could simply seal the surface using chemicals, which is how most lower-quality shoes are treated. However, that also prevents moisture from being absorbed.
Our tips for preventing shoe discolouration:
- Use dark socks when you first wear the shoes.
- Rub the shoes with a damp (not wet) cloth dipped in a vinegar-water solution to remove excess dust and dye.
- Use hairspray to fix the dye.
- Apply talcum powder to your feet (and the inside of the shoes, if you like) – this reduces moisture
Our footbed system allows the wearer to adjust the footwear's characteristics to suit their individual fitness, health and activity level. Here is a short explanation:Footbeds designed specifically for sport:
- Performance footbed (2mm): for performance sports, it was developed in collaboration with orthopaedists and engineers and adapts to the human anatomy.
- Flexitec footbed (4mm) for uneven terrain, is the result of many years of research and development. We particularly recommend it for hiking and trail running, but it is also great if you work requires you to stand for long periods of time.
- Endurance footbed (6mm): for long distance road running (e.g. regularly covering distances of 10k and above). It is innovatively designed to support & protect the foot during long periods of stress; the 3mm thick Poron® heel padding acts as a shock absorber to prevent common running injuries from over striding.
Shop our range of footbeds
- Comfort footbed (4mm): for everyday use and suitable for sports as well, it is finished with a moisture wicking, antibacterial material to keep the shoes fresh.
- Felt footbed (4mm) for the winter, it is covered with insulating felt to keep the feet warm in cold weather.
- Business footbed: for a smart work shoe, it is cushioned for comfort (especially if you are standing for long periods) and covered in moisture-wicking calfskin leather for a smart finish.
- Bioactive footbed (4mm): for everyday use, a good all rounder.
The Joe Nimble team processes all orders as quickly as possible.
Delivers with in Germany take 1-3 days.
International deliveries can take up to 2 weeks, depending on the specific country.
We make every effort to ensure your product arrives safely, intact and undamaged. Therefore we ship all orders via DHL.
Deliveries with in Germany cost 3.95€.
For international deliveries costs vary depending on the specific country of delivery.
Further information on shipping costs are listed here
We try to makes returns as easy as possible, simply fill out the return form attached to your order and post the product back to us. Returns within Germany are free of charge, but for international returns you will need to the shipping cost charged by your local postal service.
Within the scope of our desired-payment-guarantee, we provide you with following payment options: Credit Card
Simply write your credit card number, expiry date and security code in the fields provided. You can use Visa, Master Card and American Express.
PayPalAfter choosing this option, you will be redirected to the PayPal site and you can process your payment there. Afterwards, you will automatically return to the Joe Nimble website.
You transfer the purchase price immediately. A high level of security is given through entering a TAN that can be used only once.
You can find all information regarding payment options in our general terms of business.
You have the option of cancelling your order within the cancellation deadline. The process is described in our general terms of business. You can also find all information regarding our money back guarantee there.
We offer a 3 year -guarantee on all of our shoes. If quality defects emerge (with in 3 years of purchase) regardless of proper care, we are obligated to repair, replace or equally compensate you free of charge, as long as the product in question is sent back to us including its receipt. This excludes normal wear. In any case, you can count on BÄR at any time – before, during and after your purchase. Unless expressly agreed otherwise, your warranty claims are governed by the statutory provisions of the sale of goods and other applicable laws. For more information you can reach us at the email address firstname.lastname@example.org or on the phone +49 (0)7142 95 66 10.
Even our functional footwear gets older. You can of course replace your shoes with a new pair, but you can also bring them to our shoemakers. If your functional footwear should require repair despite proper care, then you can contact our shoe repair service. This is how it works: Contact our team for questions about repairs and maintaining your Joe Nimble shoes. You can reach us at the email address email@example.com or on the phone +49 (0)7142 95 66 10 . For more information visit our Repair Services page
The cost varies depending on the type of repair. For your cost assurance, our shoemakers check the technical work involved and confirm back with you before every repair.
Because our shoes are made and repaired by specialists. We try to repair your shoes as quickly as possible and hope you will bear with us while we ensure you get the perfect repair.
All Joe Nimble shoes are hand lasted and each and every sole is placed, glued and pressed by hand, one shoe at a time. In rare cases, it is possible that a small detachment of the sole in critical parts (front, heel, etc.) can take place. Up to +/- 2mm is considered, by industry standards, as normal wear and tear. It will not go any further, there is no loss of function and therefore these cases are not considered as claims. In the unlikely event that the detachment progresses further, please contact us for our repair service. Continue to Guarantee
You are informed about special offers, innovations and events. It helps us to establish a close customer/supplier relationship that we value and that is to your advantage. In the rare case that might you encounter any problems with your shoe, your personal purchase data (Guarantee) is safety stored and you do not need a receipt. Continue to Guarantee
We hope that you feel absolutely free and relaxed in your Joe Nimble functional footwear. If you have any questions or would like some advice, contact us by e-mail or directly by telephone. Our service team will help you further on the number +49 (0)7142 95 66 10. Or simply visit a Joe Nimble store near you.